Friday, July 23, 2010

I have been stalled in my battery testing because of the theft- and frankly the stall may be more emotional than economic. There's something about a theft that is so demoralizing; it kind of gives me the sense of "why bother, if all my efforts just get taken away". I have also been experimenting with Prius cells and 18650 laptop batteries as potential sources for powering an EV. But on the lead/acid front, there has been some great progress made. My car broke down very far from home, so I ended up renting a truck to tow it back. As it turns out, the rental place sees many vehicles come and go: part of the business is auto body work. Sometimes, when an insurance company deems the car a total loss, the vehicle just gets sent to the junkyard. As luck would have it, the owner offered me any battery out of those vehicles for $2 each. I took him up on his offer, and right off the bat I got 4 batteries from him. One of them took a charge and was good to go just like that, the other three are very old and likely unrecoverable. It seems as though they would be good candidates to see if they can be revived. I look forward to that....

2 comments:

  1. Hey vpoppv!

    I just found your new blog! Nice to see it. I'm the owner the Electro-Metro, a $1300 EV conversion project. Fun car, drives nice, cheap to run.

    Power to the people!
    Keep up the good work.

    -Ben
    300mpg.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben,
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete